For all intents and purposes, this one was over after the top of the 1st inning. Another Michael Pineda misfire at the start of the game put the Yankees in a hole they could never climb out of as they dropped the third game of this 4-game series. I don't know what it is with Pineda and the 1st inning this season. This isn't the first time he's done this. He couldn't locate his fastball, he was leaving slider after slider too far up in the zone, and yeah, he did get burned by the hotshot grounder that Mark Teixeira probably snares to start a double play but Dustin Ackley didn't even touch. But Pineda was all-around terrible in the top of the 1st and the dead center slider he threw to Salvador Perez for a 3-run home run was one of the worst pitches you'll ever see.
And of course Pineda "rebounded" after that and pitched the next 4 innings scoreless with 6 strikeouts. This gave the Yankees the chance to chip away at the early KC lead. They did that on a Carlos Beltran solo home run and Chase Headley bloop RBI single in the 2nd and a Brian McCann RBI groundout in the 5th. They had a great chance for another run when Aaron Hicks singled and advanced to second on a wild pitch to lead off the 4th, but the next 3 batters failed to get the ball out of the infield.
Pineda tired and put 2 on with 2 outs in the 6th, and Joe went to Nick Goody to escape the jam and keep the game close. Probably not the right move, at the time or in hindsight. Goody hit Alcides Escobar with a pitch to load the bases, then gave up a 2-run single to Lorenzo Cain to push the Royal lead back to 3. The offense went to sleep after that and Joe burned through Phil Coke to get through the rest of the game. Got a loaded relief deck to win the series today.
- Via a bunch of different people, Pineda now has a 15.43 ERA and .500/.535/.1026 slash line against in the 1st inning this year. Wow.
- The offense was basically Beltran and Hicks last night. They combined for 5 of the 7 hits and 2 of the 3 runs scored.
- Pineda hit Cain with a pitch in the disastrous 1st inning, and the Royals got their payback late when Wade Davis hit Brett Gardner with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th. Wonder if that will carry anything over to today or if it's done now. You never know with the Royals.
- Joe had Betances warming up and didn't use him 2 nights in a row and with 2 out and 2 on in a 1-run game last night he goes with Goody. ...
- Have to think Coke is going down today and a fresh arm will come up. At least I hope that's what happens.