- The biggest news of the day was the Indians and A's completing the Brandon Moss trade. Moss goes to Cleveland for 2B prospect Joe Wendle. The tear down has set in for Oakland. I'd really like it if the Yankees would call Billy Beane up about his starting pitchers.
- The biggest FA signing of the day was Jason Hammel going back to the NL and back to the Cubs on a 2-year/$18 million deal. He was a fringe candidate to be pursued by the Yankees, probably something around a Plan C or D.
- Jon Lester did not sign, but like Andrew Miller last week he did get the deadline put on him. Multiple reports have Lester making a decision by the end of the day tomorrow, and the Giants, Cubs, and Red Sox are the leaders in the race to land him.
- The top story in Yankeeland was Andrew Marchand's report that the Bombers are now willing to give 4th years to both Chase Headley and David Robertson. Call me crazy, but it seems like both of those guys are finding that their markets aren't there for the big money and now they're coming back into a price range that the Yanks are comfortable operating in. I know I like Headley a lot more at 4/44 than at 4/65. Can't see why Cash wouldn't feel the same way.
- Andrew Miller spoke to the media today for the first time since signing. He confirmed that he turned down more money and a 5th year option from Houston to sign with the Yankees and said ST being in Tampa, where his family lives, was a big deciding factor. Miller also said he was flexible to pitching wherever Joe wanted to use him and did not sign thinking he would definitely be the closer.
- Cash arrived in SD in the early afternoon. Both he and Joe are scheduled to speak to the media tomorrow.
- In HOF news, the Golden Era Committee failed to elect anybody from this year's ballot. Great, glad we've got that committee in place.
If you're not interested in watching the MNF broadcast set the world record for most Brett Favre references tonight, you can use this as your open thread. Talk about how much money the Yankees should give D-Rob, how awesome a hitter you think Didi Gregorius is going to be, or anything else your hearts desire.