None of the hits, none of the CC, all of the Aceves. That pretty much sums up Sunday afternoon in the Bronx. Sabathia started out in the 1st by surrendering an RBI double to Evan Longoria, then the Yankees picked him up in the next frame after Mark Teixeira led off with a single, and Yangervis Solarte brought him in with a fairly shallow Sac Fly. From there the Yankees would only pick up 5 more hits, and strand 6 runners. The top of the order (Ellsbury, Jeter, Beltran) went a combined 0/12.
Two particular innings were disappointing on offense - the fifth saw the Yankees pick up back-to-back singles from Gardner and Murphy, before the top of the order was retired 1-2-3, and the 7th started with back-to-back base hits from Solarte and Gardner, and ended with three straight outs after that. Outside those frames, the going was tough with the bats.
Back to Sabathia - he didn't have trouble in the 2nd, but from there it was all downhill. Wil Myers hit the 11th Inside-the-Park in Rays history to Center field, after Jacoby Ellsbury was unable to track down a fly ball at the wall and Beltran said he got caught watching instead of reacting sooner to back Ellsbury up.
That would make it 4-1, and Sabathia was chased in the following frame after allowing Logan Forsythe to single and come around to score. CC's final line: 3.2 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, BB, 3 SO. Not the best.
Most of the big hits he surrendered came in high leverage situations. He told me "They're just fouling off pitches. There were a lot of 2 strike hits today, I don't know if that's just because I'm throwing the same sequences. I think the pitches are good, but they seem to taking them and not biting at them."
Sabathia said he'd go review the tape, and also mentioned he would have booed himself today, in response to being showered with disapproval walking off the mound.
Now on to Alfredo Aceves:
- Alfredo Aceves looked like 2009 Alfredo Aceves, going 5.1 innings and giving up just 3 hits while striking out five in his first appearance in MLB this season.
- Aceves hurt his right leg a bit just two outs into his stint, but he's going to be fine.
- Aceves was asked if the leg was an issue. He said "come on man, you serious? You see how many pitches I threw?"
- Aceves saved the bullpen and gave them a much needed day off.
- Aceves didn't know the Yankees were playing tomorrow initially.
- Alfredo Aceves didn't get the win. Always a better time when Alfredo Aceves gets the win.
- When I asked Girardi after the game if he would reconsider Aceves' role as a strictly-bullpen guy, he said he was going to keep him in there.
- Alfredo Aceves isn't starting every game from here on out.
So, as Alfredo Aceves was just informed, the Yankees are back at it tomorrow at 10:05 PM in Los Angeles against the Angels.
The Yankees are winless in their last 6 series against the Rays...CC Sabathia is now 0-3 with a 7.47 ERA at home this season, in 15.2 innings...it's only the second time he's lost three straight home starts since joining the Yankees...Brett Gardner finishes the 8-game homestand with 5 multi-hit games...Mark Teixeira extended his hitting streak to 6 games...John Ryan Murphy has a 4-game hitting streak...The Yankees go to 8-7 against lefties this year...Peyton and Eli Manning were at the game today in Derek Jeter's suite...Jeter said they've been friends for a few years - they met through Gatorade...Peyton Manning called Jeter a "mentor"...Jeter laughed and agreed
Photo courtesy of (AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)