MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner was speaking with reporters today and of course, the main subject was the Biogenesis investigation. Weiner, who is battling in operable brain cancer, took questions from reporters while sitting in a wheelchair. The following quips from Weiner are from multiple sources on Twitter including Jeff Passan of Yahoo!, Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times and Scott Miller of CBS:
- Players involved in Biogenesis not bound by drug agreement and could get 5 game suspensions or even 500 games.
- 50-game suspensions may not apply to non-analytical positives. Length of suspension open for discussion.
- If there are appeals on Biogenesis case, they could be heard as early as September.
- Weiner says key is to try to make the upcoming suspensions fair. Says Player's Association position is suspensions that should not be announced until an appeal is heard.
- On the likelihood that appeals would stretch beyond season: "If we can't reach a deal, yes."
Feel free to leave comments below.